Sunday, June 1, 2008

Gear

Here's the stuff I'll be using to get me through...

The bike - 1996 Eddy Merckx titanium AX frame, Look carbon fork, Shimano 600 group, Fizik Rondine saddle, SKS Raceblade fenders, Mavic Cosmos wheelset, Crank Bros. Egg Beater pedals. I've also added a beefy top tube pad since I'm undoubtedly going to be locking it up a lot.


I love this bike - it's light, bullet-proof and really comfortable. The only problem at the moment is the Shimano 600 shifters kinda suck.


The bag - Ortlieb Waterproof Messenger bag.



See more here.

This bag is enormous - which is good and bad. I'm inclined to always fill it up which of course makes it heavy as hell to carry.


The jacket - Showers Pass Elite 2.0


See more here.

I've wanted one of these ever since I read a review in Bicycling Magazine a few years back. So far, it's great. It does fit snug which took a little getting used to.


The shoes - Sidi Dominator


See more here.

The link takes you to the newest in their line, but I've actually owned these shoes for close to 10 years. I've used them a lot and they're terrific. Most of of Sidi's stuff is vegan (including their line of motorcycle boots), is really tough and very well made. I've never had any problems with these shoes and highly recommend them.


The helmet - Giro E2

At the moment I'm using a helmet I bought about 8 years ago. The helmet I was using was damaged when I got hit by the car back in February, though I didn't realize it until I used it about a week ago and the damn thing finally gave out while I was out on a ride. The padding on the E2 I'm using at the moment is dry-rotted and leaves little black specks of foam on my head and forehead when I wear it. I like this helmet, though it is a little small and unless I can find replacement pads for it I'll be forced to buy a new one.


The pants - Novara Express Bike Pants

I'm getting lazy with the pictures (just click the link to see them.) I've ridden in these once so far and they were really great. Tapered legs keep them from getting caught in the gears. The waist is kinda high and I found myself damn near pulling them up to nipple level a few times though.


Security

I just bought a Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit lock. This thing weighs a ton, but if it helps keep my bike secure, it'll be more than worth it. I also switched the front skewer to one that uses a special tool to remove it. My hope is that during the times I can't lock the front wheel, this will keep it secure. I am a little worried about losing my pedals, seat/seat post and anything else not nailed down, but you can't account for everything. Just hope for the best and always keep enough change for a ride on the Max.


Miscellaneous bits

I'm also riding with the usual stuff you should not be without while riding: spare inner tubes (I have 2), inner tube patches (from Park), small tool kit (from Crank Bros.), tire levers (set of 2 - Park), pump (presta/schraeder compatible.) I'm also trying, for the first time, a compressed air cartridge system for filling tires. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it yet.

I also have gloves for cold nights and an ipod. There are several schools of thought about riding with an ipod, but sometimes you just gotta have it.

No comments: