Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cat Treats and a Scratching Pad

Pants is not pleased

As I was leaving earlier, Pants reminded me not to forget (yet again) to get him some cat treats, so I booked it over to the cat treat store. I gathered my items, including a third scratching pad for the apartment and made my way to the register - only to find I had forgotten my damn wallet! Son of a... Back home to get my wallet. Fortunately the pet store is only about two miles away, so I hadn't really gone that far. I grabbed my wallet and back out I went.

Everything fit fine in my backpack, including the 'double wide' scratching pad. For those that don't know - Pants spent his first ten years cooling his heels at an animal sanctuary in Mississippi. While there he lived the life of a juvenile delinquent with a group of other free-roaming cats and he, like the others, scratched his claws on whatever he felt like. Now living in a fully carpeted 600 square foot apartment, he continues this behavior. He's already torn the carpet a new one in several places, jacked up a sit-up bench (mind you I was only using it for clothes storage, but that's not the point) and last night I caught him using my Ortlieb backpack as a scratching post. I was not thrilled. So we now have Ikea rugs thrown over several shabby spots on the floor and 3 scratching pads. I'm going to break him of this habit, I only wish I would have done it before I lost my security deposit - which at this point is a fond memory.

After the trip to get the cat's stuff, I headed back over to Hawthore St. This time I went to a little coffe shop called "Common Grounds". I think every city in America and perhaps the world has a coffee shop by this name. The coffee was pretty lousy, but they had a big comfy sofa and there weren't a lot of people there, so that made up for it. I sat down and read a little more Sedaris for awhile.

The total mileage accumulated, according to my new cyclocomputer, was just shy of twelve miles. This was a pretty short trip, not counting the four extra miles racked up going back and forth to the pet store, so I'm surprised it was almost twelve miles. I think I need to ride at least ten miles a day to really get in the habit of riding. On a side note, my legs were sore as hell on the bike tonight because of the yoga yesterday. The instructor made us do this really silly pose where we just laid on our backs like dead cockroaches with legs up in the air for an extended period. It felt more like the Army than yoga and today my legs were burning on the as a result.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bro, I miss you and truly enjoy reading about your adventures in Portland. Bobby would be so proud!! I love ya, Your Sis, Sommer